The Sociedad Protectora de Animales y Plantas de Málaga (SPAPM), was founded in the 19th century and has changed its name since then, although it has never had any objectives. In 1800 it was called the "Liga Protectora de Animales y Plantas de Málaga" (Malaga Animal and Plant Protection League) and when it was officially founded in 1966 its name was "Sociedad Protectora de Animales y Plantas de Málaga y Liga Internacional de Protección al Caballo" (Malaga Animal and Plant Protection Society and International Horse Protection League). In the adaptation of the Statutes to the new Organic Law 1/2002, it was renamed as we know it today.
In 1969, it obtained the declaration of Public Utility from the Ministry of the Interior, and in 2002 it was declared an official collaborating entity of Malaga Town Hall.
It currently has approximately 1,400 members, (a very small number for the city's population), although we are aware of the degree of support from many more citizens.